Thursday, April 16, 2015

Delicious Homemade Salsa



I absolutely love making my own salsa. It's so easy and tastes so fresh! If you have tomatoes and onion you can pretty much make it. I look in my cupboards and just start adding things that I have on hand. These are the ingredients I used for this salsa but you certainly don't have to use all of these…

1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1 can diced green chilies
1/2 cup carrots
1/2 of a white onion
1 Tablespoon fresh minced garlic
1 handful of fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon chili pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 of a lime

Throw all the ingredients except for the lime in a blender. Blend until desired consistency. I like my salsa less chunky so I blend it really fine, but if you like it chunky just pulse quickly until mixed. Pour in a bowl and squeeze fresh lime juice over it.

Salsa is so full of nutrients and so low in calories. I don't even count calories from salsa. Serve with pita chips or tortilla chips. For a serving of chips this snack will be about 130 calories.

P.S. It's also a great way to sneak in healthy food that your picky eaters might not usually eat. I've also made salsa and added a handful of spinach and once blended my kids never even know! (wink, wink:)

No comments:

Post a Comment